Amanda Covington, SVP of Communications and Government Relations, was selected by her peers to serve as Chairman of the Department of the Interior’s Outdoor Recreation Advisory Committee. Committee members, comprised of 14 recreation industry leaders from across the country, unanimously selected Covington to lead the Committee during the inaugural meeting in Washington, D.C.
The Committee was created in May 2018 with the mandate of expanding access and improving infrastructure on public lands and waterways. Committee operations will be driven by the work of four subcommittees focused on technology, partnerships, public access and infrastructure, and departmental organization. As Chairman, Covington is an Ex-officio member of each subcommittee.
The Vista Outdoor Conservation and Policy Coordinating Group provided Covington with internal policy priorities to ensure the diverse interests of Vista Outdoor brands are represented during Committee deliberations. You can read these priorities below and feedback is welcome in the comments section.
Vista Outdoor Recreation Priorities for Federal Lands
- Policies that support the use of traditional ammunition on federal lands.
- Policies that balance resource extraction with outdoor recreation, hunting, and wildlife corridor management; support for a continued voice for sportsmen and outdoor recreation interests in the resource extraction planning process.
- Policies that support the construction, maintenance, and/or expansion of hiking, mountain biking, and Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) trails on federal lands, or state lands in conjuncture with federal grants or federal oversight.
- Policies that support the construction and/or expansion of public shooting ranges on federal lands.
- Policies that support the construction and/or expansion of water hydration stations at recreation sites on federal lands.
Vista Outdoor is a strong supporter of conservation, and we believe that all conservation efforts count, no matter how big or small. We are committed to conserving our natural wonders, resources and public lands for all outdoor enthusiasts to pursue their adventures.